Friday 3 June 2011

Ray and Me


RAY

Now that Ray Krebbs has discovered that he is Jock’s son he is looking to become a serious player. I have started noticing things about him. Little changes. He doesn’t wear plaid so much, and he definitely doesn’t have sex with Lucy in the barn anymore, now that she is his niece or half niece (if there is such a thing). Though this may be more to do with him being married.
I like his new wife, Donna, but am worried that she will leave him because he can’t cut the mustard as a big man, a Texan man, a man of power.
Late at night, when no one but Ray is awake, I telephone him and try to re-assure him but we both know that, what he is, won’t be enough to keep a lady like that. Sometimes he cries down the telephone to me:
‘All I know is ranching,’ he sobs,’ it’s all I’ve ever known. It’s all I’ve ever loved. I can’t change and I don’t want to.’
‘Not even for the woman you love ?’
And then I feel cruel and heartless for what I have said. I wouldn’t upset Ray for the world. Then I start to cry too. There we are, two grown men sobbing our tragic hearts out at three o’clock in the morning. It’s terrible.
That’s why I suggested we go into property development.

This cheered Ray up a lot. Even though neither of us know anything about it, I think it’s a project we can both work on. I am sure it will be a success.

Hurray, I have found the perfect project for me and Ray. It’s going to be a themed island for monkeys: Ray Krebbs’ Monkey Island. I will remain a silent partner, which is OK by me. I want Ray to get all the glory, then he can feel proud of himself and so can his wife. Maybe then he won’t cry so much anymore.

Ray’s all fired up about the Themed Island idea. I got him some books from the library about monkeys and he’s read them all, cover to cover. He’s been telling me all about them, apparently monkeys are quite similar to cattle in some ways which should make things a lot simpler. Ray knows everything there is to know about cattle. He tells me things have improved with Donna a lot, especially sexually. I am really pleased for Ray, that sort of thing is important in a marriage. I have always thought of Ray as a considerate and generous lover and it’s important that Donna sees that side of him. He needs to show her his vulnerability as well as his strength for their marriage to build a strong foundation from which it can grow. Much like a property development.

Well things certainly have changed. Ray’s no longer interested in Monkey Island, him and Jock and Punk Anderson have gone in together to develop some swampland. I have to say, I’ve seen a different side to Ray and I’m pretty disappointed. Property development was my idea, and now he’s just brushed me aside to spend time with his dad and his buddy. I thought we were better friends than that Ray. I suppose I was wrong.

Ray doesn’t answer my phone calls anymore.

It’s not about the money, though I did have to re-mortgage my house to buy that island in the Medway, it’s about friendship and trust. I know Ray wanted more than anything to be accepted by Jock and his friends and family, but I feel like he has betrayed me to do it. It wouldn’t have been so difficult to include me in his new deal. I suppose he just didn’t want me around. I won’t say it doesn’t hurt, but I’ll get through it. I hope Donna never sees this side of him though. It’s not a pretty sight I can tell you. Maybe a cheese and onion pasty will cheer me up. Especially if I pop it in the microwave first. Warmth and comfort, oh Ray why can’t you be like pastry.

Good news. They’ve discovered oil in the Medway and I’ve sold the oil leases on my island to J.R.. He says with any luck I’ll be an oil millionaire, just like him. He’s being kind, trying to make me feel better after what happened with Ray. He knows the value of friendship unlike his half-brother. Well Ray Krebbs there’s more to being Jock’s son than just having him as your father, you’ll realise that one day, I just hope I’m there to see it. I get home to discover J.R. has sent me a 10 Gallon Hat, just like one of his. Inside the hatbox is a small note, it says simply: ‘For a true friend.’
I am not embarrassed to admit that I weep uncontrollably for over an hour and a half.
To celebrate my good fortune I treat myself and my hat to a night out in a Travel Lodge. Dinner is a Luxury Sausage Roll from the Gourmet range and a Steak Slice, then it’s on to the arcade for an evening of games and a whirl on the fruit machines. I wonder, would my life be any richer if I had someone to share all this with. Probably not.

Two days later, I get a postcard. There’s no picture. It’s from the library. The books on monkeys are overdue and there’s a small fine to pay. Ray never returned them. I don’t know, sometimes you think you know a person and then they go and do something like this. Some friend you are Ray Krebbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment