Friday 3 June 2011

My Year of Dallas - the End. For now.


EPILOGUE


I don’t know if it was a dream, or a nightmare but I am done with Texas, there’s nothing for me here now. Dallas just has too many memories.
The day I crossed the border was the last time I dreamt of the man in red. He’s standing at the roadside waving, there’s a nasty leer on his face. I just keep on driving.


I still get a card from Clayton and Miss Ellie at Christmas, the message is always the same and it’s not handwritten but I am grateful for even the smallest of kindnesses..

I don’t know if you can ever put the past behind you but I try. It’s been three years since I last spoke to a Ewing and there isn’t a day that goes by without me thinking of J.R. But I woke up this morning feeling lighter, more carefree. I’m surprised by the letter on the mat. It’s from a young wildcatter, name of Blake Carrington, he sounds keen and it’s been so long since I’ve seen enthusiasm from anyone. He’s invited me to Denver, Colorado, just to talk. Well I think I like the sound of that. I think I like it very much indeed. I decide I’m going to go, and I’ll make him a gift of a pork pie. One of the Gourmet kind, the one with pickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment